Thursday, August 11, 2011

7.365


7.365
August 11, 2011
Jacob's bike
Oakleaf Plantation
Orange Park, FL

Growing up in California, all of the "cool" kids had these license plates for the back of their bikes.  Having an unusual name like Latisha, I could never get anything personalized.  No license plates, no pencils, no barrettes (do you remember those?)...nothing ever had my name, and it was sad.  It made me wish I was a Jenny, Sara, or Melissa, but now that I am older, I love my name and I couldn't be anything other than a Latisha.
I don't know if we got Jacob this for him, or a relative back home...either way, it's way cool!  Both Jess and I are getting to re-live a part of our childhood through this :)
As part of our family becoming healthier, we went on a bike ride to the grocery store.  But first, let me set the mood for you.  It is 100 degrees not including the humidity, and when you walk out side it feels like you are in a sauna or a blow dryer is blowing in your face, but without the wind.  So it is Africa hot, going on a bike ride and the kids are coming along.  I'm not going to lie, this frightened me.  Heat and kids doesn't mix well sometimes.  But, I have to say they did so good!
We biked 10 miles, and I am so proud of myself.
Today I kind of had an aha moment.  No matter how much my husband tries to get our children to exercise more, they are never going to do it, unless they see me doing it with them.  I am responsible for my families health, after all I am the one who does the shopping, cooks, and puts the food they are going to eat in front of them.  I need to be more pro-active, and more of an example for them.

**I took this picture as I was riding a bike :)

No comments:

Post a Comment