Saturday, August 6, 2011

1.365


1.365
August 5, 2011
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Banana Creek
Kennedy Space Center 

There are not too many great things about going through a deployment.  The administrator of NASA, Charlie Bolden, invited HS-11 to attend the Juno rocket launch, because they just returned from a 6+ month deployment.  Going to NASA and watching some kind of launch has always been on my "bucket list" so we were not going to pass up this opportunity.  
We left the house around 6am, picked up a few of Kendall's friends and drove 155 miles to Cape Canaveral.  We were in such a rush to get there, that we didn't have time to stop at Starbucks.  So, once we got off the highway, we stopped at a gas station so I could get some caffeine in me, and some gatorade for the kids.
It ended up being extremely, extremely hot.  We were all so sweaty.  It was so humid, it felt like a heater was blowing in my face, but there wasn't any wind.  The launch was delayed for a little over an hour because they thought there might be a helium leak.  So, while NASA figured out what was wrong, the crowd of people sat outside and waited.
We were fanning ourselves with our Juno Launch guest lanyards.  So I snapped this picture of Jacob as he was holding it in his hand.  This is the edited version of this picture, it isn't a straight out of the camera shot.  I added in some black for contrast, and faded the picture just a little, which made Jacob's hands look a little textured.
I chose this picture as my first picture to post on this blog, because like the rocket that is going out to explore & discover new things, I wish to do the same this year.  Taking a picture everyday, is a really huge commitment.  Luckily, I have a group of friends that will keep me accountable.

2 comments:

  1. HUGE congrats on starting this- I am as well soon and I'm excited but it IS hard to take a pic a day I think. Yours are wonderful so far- thank you for sharing your memories with us, T! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! Lovin' the little blog!! Love the sneakers!

    ReplyDelete